Classis Toronto is a regional association of Christian Reformed congregations.
Mission: to be, by the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit, a growing community of churches called to witness to Jesus Christ and advance God’s reign in the whole region in which we live by continuing to be reformational, by being accountable to each other while valuing the diversity of our expression, and by fostering ministry in and among the local congregations.
IMMEDIATE NEED: Church planter - East Toronto (Markham/Scarborough/Pickering area)
We are seeking a church planter for the Markham/Scarborough/Pickering area. It is one of the most ethnically diverse and multicultural areas of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) as well as a popular destination for new immigrants. The GTA is anticipated to grow on average by 150,000 people per year for the next two decades.
The harvest is plentiful and God may be calling you! We are praying for a self-starter, an entrepreneurial leader with a capacity to discern and cast a vision and gather a start up team who will join the planter to begin a healthy disciple making church somewhere within the catchment area.
A coalition of regional partners from the Christian Reformed Church of North America not only stands behind this effort but sees this as the next step in a larger move of God that has witnessed 11 new churches in southwestern Ontario in the last decade with many more to come!
If you wish to learn more about this opportunity, please check out the job description on the Classis Toronto website (see below) or contact Rich Grift at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are hope to begin reviewing applicants in late August 2016.
Church Planter Job Description
Scarborough/Pickering/Markham – a partnership of Classis Toronto and Classis Quinte in the Christian Reformed Church.
Develop a new church based in the Scarborough/Pickering/Markham area of Ontario, Canada. The cities of Scarborough, Pickering and Markham are a popular destination for new immigrants to Canada to reside. As a result, they are one of the most diverse and multicultural areas of the Greater Toronto Area, being home to various religious groups and places of worship. This new church could be a multi-ethnic or ethnic church representing this diverse area. The cities of Scarborough/Pickering/Markham, although mostly English speaking, have a high percentage of Chinese and Sri Lankan residents of origin.
Gives evidence of sincere love for and commitment to Christ.
Has proven ability to lead people to Christ and organize and train them to missional discipleship.
Is a person of prayer, a dedicated student of Scripture, and committed to the Reformed expression of the Christian faith.
Is self-motivated, self-starting, entrepreneurial.
Is able to cast a clear biblical vision for church planting & draw others into sharing that vision. Able to gather a start-up team.
Should be ordain-able as a Commissioned Pastor, or Minister of the Word in the Christian Reformed Church of North America (CRCNA).
Must pass the CRCNA church planting assessment process.
Is sensitive to ethnic and cultural differences.
The gifts and passions of the church planter will determine the kind of church to be planted. We are open and flexible in our approach (bi-vocational or full-time) and we are open to a partnership that could be shared with several other church planters (2 or more planters in a bi-vocational capacity). This approach could take the form of a mono ethnic, or multiethnic church plant. For accountability reasons the church planter should be ordain-able as a Commissioned Pastor or Minister of the Word in the Christian Reformed Church of North America.
Four partnerships have been put in place to support this ministry. These include partnerships with;
- Christian Reformed Church (CRC) Home Missions.
- Grace Scarborough CRC in Scarborough, Ontario. (Sponsoring church)
- Classis Toronto and Classis Quinte (Area CRC churches.)
- Classis Toronto and Classis Quinte Home Missions.
These partnerships will provide prayer support, financial support, guidance and oversight, office space and administrative support.
- What – Establish a church in Scarborough/Pickering/Markham
- Why – To make disciples in the Scarborough/Pickering area, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
- When – As soon as possible. It is expected that the Ministry become Self Sufficient in 3 to 5 years.
- Where – In Scarborough/Pickering/Markham Ontario.
The Main Roles of the Church Planter(s) Are To:
- Create missional ministry opportunities utilizing community based and social justice activities and initiatives
- Develop relationships and nurture spirituality
- Network with the community; building relationships and developing an environment where spiritual growth is nurtured
- Create a safe hospitable place where people can learn and grow in their relationship with God
- Evangelize and disciple new Christians.
- Help believers to discover their destiny and purpose in Jesus Christ
- Promote a Gospel that is relevant to the urban context and issues
- Call believers to a life of comprehensive discipleship
- Create opportunities and develop an environment where people can share their relationship with Christ and mentor others in the faith.
- Establish a permanent presence in the community where people can regularly come to worship and hear God’s word.
- Weave within your philosophy of ministry a vision for planting another church within within 5 to 7 years.